The Castle of Mithymna sits above the town of Molyvos (Mithymna) and is one of the most impressive fortresses in Greece. It was built by the Byzantines but contains stones of an earlier castle which had been besieged by Achilles himself during the Trojan War. The Illiad takes place just a few miles away, across the straits that
separate the island
of Lesvos from ancient Troy. The castle and it's siege by Achilles is supposedly mentioned in both the Illiad and the Odyssey, but good luck finding it.
In 1128 the castle was taken over by the Venetians who held it until the 13th century when it passed over to the Catalans. In 1373 it became an important defensive position for the Genovese who been given the island of Lesvos when Francesco Gattelusi married the sister of the Byzantine emperor John V Palaiologos. The castle was strengthened during this period but eventually fell to the Ottoman Turks in 1462. The Turks added to the fortifications over the next several
hundred years and what you see now is a result of that period.